6.02.2008

aw, brother.


it's hard for me to seperate my true feelings about the movie from my love of the show and the connection i have with it to my girls back home but i'll let this keen netflix reviewer do the talking for me:

"I was so excited about this film; it felt like the night before Christmas as I entered the theater. Little did I know, the movie version would fall flat on so many levels. First of all, what I loved about SATC, is that they broke all the norms. Michael Patrick King created four women we could identify with, who were unique, unabashedly honest, and had a life-long connection as friends. Most viewers felt they had a little bit of all the girls mixed into their personalities. The film completely lost this spirit as it got caught up in the glitz, glam, and tacky predictability. As we were faced with Carrie's drama, the storylines of the other girls were sidelined completely. The women became caricatures of themselves; let's have prime and proper Charlotte crap her pants, have loveable Steve cheat on Miss Independent Miranda, and have Samantha get a "pooch" while gorging herself to keep from cheating on Smith Jared? The lesson Carrie learns about "not losing focus of the one you love as you plan an outrageously expensive wedding" is ironically lost in the hoopla of the fashionistas themselves. The women come off as superficial, materialistic, shrieking shells of the clever women we came to love over the six seasons. It is as if the film projects a moral that it doesn't even take seriously itself. When SATC originated, many critics felt that the women were just "gay men" in character who slept around and talked about it the next morning over coffee. As the season progressed, viewers saw the four women grow and shed any of this speculation. Yet in the film, I felt as if we were back at square one. The series did not translate to the big screen at all; it was all tied up in a big Tiffany bow that screamed sequel. When the lights came up, Fergie's annoying theme song "Labels or Love" came on and I couldn't help but wonder, why the writers chose to lose the love in favor of the labels."

No comments: