11.03.2008

ask, you shall receive.



as a music person, i constantly get asked (like many of you, im sure) who my fave band or singer is, what my fave song is, the best show ive ever been to or three records i'd take to a desert island. faced with the prospect of living on an island with only 3 records and nothing else leads me to believe i'd jump off a palm tree to my death, but the others are valid.

i have little to answers to questions like these and the mere mention of them boggle the mind beyond any thoughtful consideration. but to give you something, other than my end of the year lists, i thought i'd doll out at least one semi-specific love of mine.

for whatever reason (and there and many, some explainable and some not) i am quite obsessed with band of horses. i quite adore literally every song theyve ever laid down. my favorite, if hard pressed, is most likely "the general specific" off of their latest, cease to begin. the song has the ability to make me feel a million things, to take me to a certain place in time, to give me chill bumps and to cause my mind and heart to race. this has been done countless times in my life, most notably by ryan, johnny, and millions of other old timers. but this song (and all of their others, to their own degree) elicits a very "of now" type of reaction that seems to melt me down to the very core of how i feel right this second, not hinging on the past or hollowing out the future. and while i might usually wish for a more obscure track to lift me up to such a shattering space, i stand by this band, their music, and the possibly cliched way it makes me feel.

If your trials end, are really getting you down
We had a close call, I didn't even see it, then another one, I hardly believed it at all.
What the writers say, it means shit to me now.
Plants and animals, we're on a bender when it's 80 degrees, the end of December was coming on,
Only for you and me.
When the showing up ends, going back to the south, where hungry necks that I know, and runnin'
A blender in a lightning storm, disguised as a blessing I'm sure.
Knowing up here, there comes a fork in the road, pants have gotta go, we're on an island on
The fourth of July, looks like the tide is going home.
In time I'd find a little way to your heart, down to the general store for nothing specific,
Gonna wash my bones in the Atlantic shore - only for you and me

No comments: